An Investigation of the Effect of interrupted fin arrangements on the Thermal Performance of a Heat Sink under a Free Convection Condition
The heat sink with vertically rectangular interrupted fins was investigated numerically in a natural convection field, with steady-state heat transfer. A numerical study has been conducted using ANSYS Fluent software (R16.1) in order to develop a 3-D numerical model. The dimensions of the fins are (305 mm length, 100 mm width, 17 mm height, and 9.5 mm space between fins. The number of fins used on the surface is eight. In this study, the heat input was used as follows: 20, 40, 60, 80, 100, and 120 watts. This study focused on interrupted rectangular fins with a different arrangement and angle of the fins. Results show that the addition of interruption in fins in various arrangements will improve the thermal performance of the heat sink, and through the results, a better interruption rate as an equation can be obtained.
2. Salila Ranjan Dixit, DrTarinicharana Panda "Numerical Analysis of Inverted Notched Fin Array Using Natural Convection" IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering (IOSR-JMCE) Volume 6, Issue 4 (May. -Jun. 2013), PP 47-56.
3. Mehran Ahmadi, Golnoosh Mostafavi, , Natural convection from rectangular interrupted fins, International Journal of Thermal Sciencesvol.82(2014), pp.62-71.
4. Al-Hamadani, Ali AF, and Abbas Jassim Jubear. "Numerical Simulation of Natural Convection Heat Transfer from Interrupted Rectangular Fins." Journal of Engineering 21.10 (2015).
5. Bhushan S Rane, ,Numerical and experimental investigation of staggered interrupted fin arrangement in a natural convection field, International Journal of Engineering Research and General Science Volume 3, Issue 6, November-December, 2015.
6. Suha K. Jebir "Effect of inclination interrupted fin arrays with iso-flux on convection heat transfer" International Journal of Application or Innovation in Engineering & Management (IJAIEM) Volume 6, Issue 1, January 2017.
A. Bejan, Convection Heat Transfer, Wiley, New York, 1984.
7. Z. Bocu, Z. Altac, 2011, Laminar Natural Convection Heat Transfer and Air Flow in Three-dimensional Rectangular Enclosures with Pin Arrays Attached to Hot Wall”, Applied Thermal Engineering, 31, pp. 3189-3195.
8. Mostafavi G., 2012, Natural Convective Heat Transfer from Interrupted Rectangular Fins, Thesis in Master of Applied Science, School of Engineering Science Faculty of Applied Sciences, Simon Fraser University Fall.